M-231 construction to begin in summer, completion in 2016 | News
NUNICA, Mich. (WZZM) - A new highway connecting I-96 to Lake Michigan Drive is one step closer to reality. Michigan Department of Transportation crews will begin building highway interchanges and bridges for M-231 this summer.
Dozens of people filled the Crockery Township Hall Wednesday to hear about the plans. An MDOT spokesman says although the construction will create traffic headaches near I-96 this summer, the new highway will help alleviate congestion on U.S. 31 near Grand Haven.
One man who will live near M-231 says it's taxpayer money well spent.
"I think some of the retailers on M-45, it'll be easier to access them," says Tom Ralya, Crockery Twp. resident. "For us, we'll be able to get into Holland a lot easier, and going into Grand Haven. We're eager for it around here."
M-231 will be the first highway built in Michigan since M-6 a decade ago. An estimated 15,000 to 20,000 vehicles will use the route when it opens in 2016.
Upcoming Events near Grand Haven
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Holland: Hope College hosts Model United Nations high school conference
- My Town Holland: Hope College Students earn awards in opera competition
- My Town Holland: Windmill Island Gardens hosts job fair
- Snow, ice cover will boost Great Lakes levels
- New Holland brewery to start distribution in Tennessee
- Local students explore North America through giant map
- Public to explore, snack, and register to win at Tech Center open house
- Despite weather, construction continues on Muskegon Farmers Market
- Dead dogs cause of death will remain a mystery if case isn't solved
- Local students shine in auto collision & refinishing contest
- My Town Walker: Humane Society of West Michigan up for $100K adoption challenge
- Police close U.S. 131 ramp due to car fire
- My Town Walker: Public to weigh in on daycare proposal March 5
- My Town Walker: IHOP to serve up free pancakes March 4
- My Town Walker: Public hearing March 5 for daycare center project