Made in Michigan: Medallion Instrumentation | News
SPRING LAKE, Mich. (WZZM) - The Lakeshore business, Medallion Instrumentation Systems, is riding a record wave of success this year by producing electronics that every boat and vehicle in the world needs.
Medallion adds a customized touch to measurement systems like a speedometer and the fuel gauge.
"With one touch of the button the boat configures itself to your level of riding," says Nick Hoiles, President of Medallion.
The privately owned company has been on the Lakeshore since it opened in the 1960s.
"West Michigan is a great place to live. We believe we're a great company to work for and as a result we believe we're able to attract top notch people," says Hoiles.
One of the operators, Jackie Belmarez, has been with the company from the very beginning.
"They're really good to us. Why would I go any place else?" says Belmarez.
Hoiles says this was a record sales year for the $40 million company. About 40% of Medallion's business is producing electronics for recreational vehicles. The other 60% is electronics for commercial and military vehicles. All the parts are made on location.
While many gadgets are automated, engineers say the company has a uniquely human touch.
"We do not have a lot of automation. We depend on skilled worksmanship of our operators," says engineer Stephen Strobel.
Hoiles says the hard work is continuing to pay off with new jobs.
"We've hired about 15 people this year in all different departments," says Hoiles.
Hoiles says no matter where the product goes, its always clear where it came from.
"We're bringing not only Spring Lake, but also the name of Michigan business wherever we go. We're proud of it and we tout it," says Hoiles.
Medallion executives expect growth to continue next year and more hiring opportunities as well.
Upcoming Events near Grand Haven
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Public to explore, snack, and register to win at Tech Center open house
- Despite weather, construction continues on Muskegon Farmers Market
- Dead dogs cause of death will remain a mystery if case isn't solved
- Local students shine in auto collision & refinishing contest
- Career Tech students win awards at FFA contest; Student headed to State
- My Town Walker: Humane Society of West Michigan up for $100K adoption challenge
- Police close U.S. 131 ramp due to car fire
- My Town Walker: Public to weigh in on daycare proposal March 5
- My Town Walker: IHOP to serve up free pancakes March 4
- My Town Walker: Public hearing March 5 for daycare center project