What's Happening Derby Dinner & Charit-A-Bowl | News
GRAND RAPIDS, MI (WZZM) - Today is Cinco de Mayo and of course, there are a lot of events happening around West Michigan in honor of the holiday.
The Cinco de Mayo Fiesta GR 2012 will be taking place today form 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Ionia which will be blocked off between Fulton and Weston.
There will be lots of live music, a tequila and beer tent, and of course, delicious food from many of the arena district restaurants.
Not only is it Cinco de Mayo, it's also the 138th running of the Kentuck Derby, and the Down Syndrome Association of West Michigan is celebrating in style with it's 2012 Winner's Cup Benefit.
Executive Director, Melissa Werkman said, "We really encourage people to dress in derby wear. So, kind of formal garden dresses for the women.. but, more importantly, it's a great way for us to raise awareness about what it means to live with Down Syndrome and get to know members of the community who have Down Syndrome."
This is the 8th year for the event and so far, they've raised $600,000! Tickets are $125 for derby themed dinner and drinks at the Kent Country Club. Don't forget, you'll witness what's known as "the most exciting two minutes in sports!"
Next Thursday marks the 12th year for the Lakeshore Business Expo. The event features over 70 businesses from around the Grand Haven Area up to Muskegon. Each unique business will features their products and services.
Stop by Trillium Events on Thursday the 10th between 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
Finally, next week Friday, go bowling for a cause with the 6th annual Charit-A-Bowl supporting Helen DeVos Children's Hospital.
Chair Person for Charit-A-Bowl, Sue Laham said, "It's a fundraiser that we put together just for the Children's Hospital. We have Eastbook Lanes over by Centerpoint Mall, we have 40 lanes and we fill the entire bowling alley and have a great time, we have a raffle during the event and it's all for the kids."
The organizers, a group of young professionals called "Leading for Our Kids" is hoping to raise close to $20,000. The event is from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. and there are still spots available.
Upcoming Events near Grand Haven
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Holland: Hope College hosts Model United Nations high school conference
- My Town Holland: Hope College Students earn awards in opera competition
- My Town Holland: Windmill Island Gardens hosts job fair
- Snow, ice cover will boost Great Lakes levels
- New Holland brewery to start distribution in Tennessee
- Local students explore North America through giant map
- Public to explore, snack, and register to win at Tech Center open house
- Despite weather, construction continues on Muskegon Farmers Market
- Dead dogs cause of death will remain a mystery if case isn't solved
- Local students shine in auto collision & refinishing contest
- My Town Walker: Humane Society of West Michigan up for $100K adoption challenge
- Police close U.S. 131 ramp due to car fire
- My Town Walker: Public to weigh in on daycare proposal March 5
- My Town Walker: IHOP to serve up free pancakes March 4
- My Town Walker: Public hearing March 5 for daycare center project