What's Happening Earth Day & Grand Haven | News
GRAND RAPIDS, MI (WZZM) - From Earth Day to chili and wine, there's plenty happening across West Michigan this weekend.
Sunday is Earth Day and many are doing their part to preserve our planet.
The John Ball Zoo is hosting a "Party for the Planet" featuring over 25 conservation stations hosted by many eco-friendly businesses. The event is centered on the fact that zoos are a very important part of wildlife conservation efforts worldwide.
Animal Management Supervisor, Dan Malone said, "We're also involved with a Wood Turtle head starting program involving MSU where we take in hatchling Wood Turtles that do not have any chance of survival in the wild. We take those guys and raise them up here at our facility for about a year but in that course of a year and then they're able to be released back into their environment and have a much better chance of surviving."
The event at the John Ball Zoo is from 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon. All booths and activities are free with the price of admission which is $5 for adults, $4 for kids 3-13 and kids two and under are free.
Organizer, Dan Schoonmaker said, "A lot of the areas have just been, people have been dumping things there for maybe a lifetime."
GreenUp Chair, Brock Rodgers said, "Last year we had almost 7,000 pounds total, and almost 1,000 pounds of that clean recyclables."
Of course, there will also be blues musicians at many establishments all over town. Loftis is expecting thousands of people to visit Grand Haven this weekend.
Finally, a new-comer to Grand Haven is getting in on the festivities.
Lemon Creek Winery will be hosting three days of live music, food and wine tasting at it's new store just off of Beacon Blvd.
Tasting Room Manager, Kaitlyn Lemon said, "We'll be doing a food and wine tasting so we have local natural foods from all over the state. So, we've got jam from We Bee Jammin' from Manistee, we've got Grassfields Organics Cheese, we'll have organic eggs as well and then we have all preserves and breads and just anything you can imagine that's kind of... it's almost farm market-esque."
Events began on Friday and continue through the weekend. You can stop by on Saturday between Noon and 7 pm.
Upcoming Events near Grand Haven - Spring Lake
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Zeeland: City to unlock time capsule July 24
- My Town Holland: Vanderbilt Charter Academy celebrates new playground
- My Town Zeeland: Countdown on to splash pad opening next week
- My Town Holland: Hope College student headed to Broadway
- My Town Holland: $40K grant approved for DeGraaf Nature Center improvements
- My Town: Free Hand delivers free performance July 24
- My Town Walker: Blandford Nature Center member appreciation day July 26
- My Town Walker: Salon opens in Green Ridge Square Shopping Center
- My Town: Construction company donates talents to West Michigan's homeless
- My Town: Free adoption weekend a success for Humane Society of West Michigan