GRAND HAVEN TOWNSHIP, Mich.— The 417-acre Hofma Park and Preserve may soon grow by another 40 acres.
Within the next two weeks, Grand Haven Township officials plan to file for a state grant to help pay for purchasing 40 acres of land adjacent to Hofma Park and Preserve. The land is approximately 52 percent forested wetland and 48 percent upland field with Christmas trees. The land is currently owned by the Catholic Diocese of Grand Rapids.
Township Superintendent Bill Cargo says the land acquisition is expected to cost approximately $368,000. Approximately 75 percent of that cost would be covered by the grant; the other 25 percent would come out of the township’s general fund.
The grant decision is expected to be finalized by November or December 2014. If approved, Cargo is hopeful the grant would be funded in January 2015.
Cargo says the land would be kept in its natural state.