Celebrate Black History Month with Soul Food - Feb 18 | Arts & Culture
Spring Lake, MI--Celebrate Black History Month with a soul food cooking demonstration at Spring Lake District Library on Monday, Feb. 18, at 7:00 p.m. Grand Rapids Community College Executive Chef Nancy Rutledge will demonstrate how to prepare some classic African American dishes and provide samples. Pre-registration is required as seating is limited. Register online at www.sllib.org or call 616.846.5770.
Chef Rutledge will discuss the origins of soul food. African American food was greatly influenced by African cuisine from the slavery period. What began as a cheap way to feed enslaved African Americans developed into popular cuisine, rich in flavor and history.
For more information, contact the library at (616) 846-5770, ext. 107. The library is located at 123 E. Exchange Street in Spring Lake.
Upcoming Events near Grand Haven - Spring Lake
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Walker: Students duct tape principal and gym teacher to a pole
- My Town Walker: Volunteers needed for invasive plant culling April 12
- My Town: Blandford Nature Center joins Garlic Mustard Pull campaign
- My Town Walker: Invasive plant culling April 12
- My Town Walker: Students to duct tape principal to a pole