Chilly Blues 2012 - 20th ANNUAL!! | Arts & Culture
For twenty years now, downtown Grand Haven has hosted a mix of local, regional, and national blues acts along with a chili cook-off contest during the festive Chilly Blues weekend. "The longevity of the event is due to the quality of the music, the fun atmosphere, and the popular chili contest that draws people from all over the state. It has come to signify the beginning of summer in Grand Haven!" says Steve Loftis who started Chilly Blues 20 years ago along with Greg Gilmore of the Kirby House.
April 20 - 22, Grand Haven will be celebrating twenty years of Chilly Blues with some of the finest blues around. “This year we are excited to welcome a national blues act, The Sonny Moorman Group from Cincinnati, Ohio in their first ever Grand Haven appearance. The headlining band will be performing both Friday and Saturday nights at the Dee-Lite Bar & Grill with local blues sensations, The Vincent Hayes Project opening on the Friday night show. Often we see incredible jams between the local artists and the touring artists producing a genuinely original night of blues. You won’t want to miss the opportunity to see much of the area's blues talent as well as the energized and inspired playing of Sonny Moorman!!” said Mike Coleman, music coordinator for Chilly Blues.
The energy created by having multiple musicians playing the same genre music in the same small town on the same weekend is undoubtedly a reason to visit Grand Haven during the Chilly Blues Festival! The Sonny Moorman Group is a natural fit to headline the 20th annual Chilly Blues Festival; he was 2nd place in the 2007 International Blues Challenge Solo/Duo competition, named 2008 Blues Artist on the Rise by Blues Festival Guide Magazine, was nominated for 2009 Blues Album and Blues Song of the Year by Just Plain Folks, and he and his band were Finalists in the 2010 International Blues Challenge.
To guarantee seating for The Sonny Moorman Group tickets are just $10 per night. This ticket is good for entrance to the Grand and Theatre Bar music as well. You can purchase tickets at the Dee-Lite, Theatre Bar, Grand, or Snug Harbor.
On Saturday, April 21, beginning at 10:00 a.m. at Snug Harbor, chili contestants will begin final preparation for the 12:00 noon shotgun chili start on the outdoor deck at Snug Harbor. The public is welcomed and encouraged to cheer their favorite team to victory. In addition to the chili cook-off, more live blues will begin playing from 2:00 – 6:00 p.m. as contestants mix their special brew!
“Throughout the afternoon, there will be plenty of chili tasting, blues and beverage. Beginning at 3:00 p.m., our panel of judges will begin the difficult task of selecting the best chili and from there on out – it’s a Gas! Gas! Gas!” Loftis said.
On Sunday, April 22, check out the blues jam at the Dee-Lite with The Vincent Hayes Project. There will also be a Bloody Mary Bar held Sunday from noon to 3:00 p.m. at the Theatre Bar. Come in and make your own Bloody Mary!
“Hot chili and rip-roaring blues will be the special blend that makes the twentieth annual ‘Chilly Blues 2012’ a Gas! Gas! Gas!,” Loftis said.
Upcoming Events near Grand Haven
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Holland: Hope College hosts Model United Nations high school conference
- My Town Holland: Hope College Students earn awards in opera competition
- My Town Holland: Windmill Island Gardens hosts job fair
- Snow, ice cover will boost Great Lakes levels
- New Holland brewery to start distribution in Tennessee
- Public to explore, snack, and register to win at Tech Center open house
- Despite weather, construction continues on Muskegon Farmers Market
- Dead dogs cause of death will remain a mystery if case isn't solved
- Local students shine in auto collision & refinishing contest
- Career Tech students win awards at FFA contest; Student headed to State
- My Town Walker: Humane Society of West Michigan up for $100K adoption challenge
- Police close U.S. 131 ramp due to car fire
- My Town Walker: Public to weigh in on daycare proposal March 5
- My Town Walker: IHOP to serve up free pancakes March 4
- My Town Walker: Public hearing March 5 for daycare center project