Our network

St. Mary's School of Spring Lake to Present "A Living Rosary" on October 3rd | Arts & Culture

Title (Max 100 Characters)

St. Mary's School of Spring Lake to Present "A Living Rosary" on October 3rd
St. Mary's School of Spring Lake to Present "A Living Rosary" on October 3rd

Community members are invited to attend a performance by all children enrolled in kindergarten through eighth grade at Saint Mary’s Parish School who will create “A Living Rosary” on October 3rd at 9 a.m. in the parking lot of the school.

The school is located at 421 east Exchange St. in Spring Lake.  The event is free and open to the public and it is sponsored by the Knights of Columbus.

The life-size rosary will include ropes with tennis balls to represent the beads typically found on rosaries used by members of the Catholic faith.  Students will hold the life-size rosary up and, at each bead, will lead a prayer.  Children also will lead the “Hail Mary” for the entire school and audience members.

Since there are 59 beads used in reciting the rosary in the Catholic faith, the “living rosary” will help children enact the reading and give it meaning to all attendees.  Children will stand in a circle in the school parking lot to give their performance.

The event is being arranged to underscore the theme of “A prayer for peace for the rosary.”  In the event of inclement weather, the living rosary will be presented in the school’s Activity Center, adjacent to the parking lot.

According to the internet site, WikiAnswers.com, “The Catholic rosary has 59 beads with sections of 10 beads called decades. One explanation why there are 50 main beads in each rosary may come from a practice monks had of memorizing the 150 psalms in the Bible. The monks would recite the 50 psalms at a time until they knew them by heart.”

Anyone interested in obtaining further information should contact Saint Mary’s Parish School at 616/842-1282.

Saint Mary’s Parish School in its current location was opened in 1954 with 150 students enrolled in grades three through eight.  In 1955, grades one and two were added.  Enrollment increased every year up to 1965-66 when 330 students were enrolled.  Since the mid 1970s enrollment has remained steady around 200 students. 

Saint Mary’s Catholic Church has served the community for 140 years.  In April 2006, a 22,000 square foot Parish Center was completed and dedicated by Bishop Walter Hurley and Father Len Sudlik during a special ribbon cutting ceremony.  The mission of Saint Mary’s Parish reads:  Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the Catholic Christian Community of Saint Mary dedicate ourselves to living the Good News of Jesus Christ, primarily through worship, education, love and service to all.

Anyone interested in receiving further information about the Saint Mary’s Parish School  should contact the school at:  616/842-1282.

Saint Mary’s Parish School in its current location was opened in 1954 with 150 students enrolled in grades three through eight.  In 1955, grades one and two were added.  Enrollment increased every year up to 1965-66 when 330 students were enrolled.  Since the mid 1970s enrollment has remained steady around 200 students.

Saint Mary’s Catholic Church has served the community for 140 years.  In April 2006, the new 22,000 square foot Parish Center was completed and dedicated by Bishop Walter Hurley during a special ribbon cutting ceremony.  The mission of Saint Mary’s Parish reads:  Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the Catholic Christian Community of Saint Mary dedicate ourselves to living the Good News of Jesus Christ, primarily through worship, education, love and service to all.